Latest news has been published regarding Sindh Healthcare Commission (SHCC) advisory for hospitals. Sindh Healthcare Commission is mandated to regulate healthcare establishments, improve their quality and to ban quackery in all its forms and manifestations.
In the current situation of COVID-19 pandemic certain measures are taken by the Govt. of Sindh, one of which is the lockdown in order to flatten the curve of disease and to prevent the mass transmission of disease.
Unfortunately, a lot of seriously ill patients have faced the chaos because of COVID-19 pandemic and remain unattended during the last month. Sindh Healthcare Commission (SHCC) requests all Hospitals to take the following measures to secure the healthcare workers and to prevent the COVID-19 transmission in the OPDs with lessen timings:
- Triage the patients at the point of entry by taking history of traveling and contact with COVIO-19 patients and determine the symptoms of, Cough, difficulty in breathing and take temperature.
- At triage and when examine the patient follow full contact and droplet infection protocol via rational utilization of PPE.
- Sufficient stock of PPE must be available for the healthcare workers.
- Doctor, Paramedical Staff and other healthcare workers should wear proper PPE all the time while interacting with the patients.
- Management of the hospitals shall ensure effective disinfection of the hospitals three times a day with 0.5% sodium hypochlorite or Hospital approved disinfectant especially floors) frequently touched surfaces e.g. chairs, tables, and doors.
- Frequently perform and follow WHO 5 moments of hand hygiene.
- Crowding of people shall strictly be avoided. Every person may be counseled for social distancing i.e. 6 feet while seating and respiratory etiquettes.
- All elective surgeries other than cancer surgeries and procedures shall not be carried out until further orders. Only emergency surgeries shall be entertained.
- Hand sanitizers and soap / water should be readily available at the OPDs and waiting areas.
- Disinfect equipment after each use on a patient e.g. Stethoscope, Tongue Depressor, etc.
- Awareness posters and banners must be posted in the prominent areas e.g. corridors, waiting areas, etc.
- All the healthcare staff have to be trained in donning / doffing of the PPE.
- Housekeeping staff should have the knowledge of waste segregation and disposal.
Prevention is better than Cure
Together we can save our community and protect our frontline healthcare workers from the COVID-19.
Dr. Syed Ahmed Raza Kazmi
Director Clinical & Governance Trainings
Sindh Healthcare Commission (SHCC)
2nd Floor, Block-C, FTC Building Main Shahrah-e-Faisal Karachi
E-mail: www.shcc.org.pk Tel: 021-386-56-000